Friday, August 10, 2007

Wikis

I read over the Discovery Resources---Wiki's: A Beginner's Look, What Is A Wiki, etc. I checked out Wikipedia. I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. You have to be careful of what is there. I do like Wikiquote, though.

On the Discovery Exercise-- I checked out the SJCPL (St. Joseph County Public Library) Subject Guides. I found a book I want to look at by Dean Koontz---Life is Good. I also looked over the Health & Wellness Services with the Day Spas & Health Clubs just to see what was there. I also checked out Library 2.0 in 15 min. a day on the Oregon Library Instruction Wiki by Sam Wallin. I am going to check it out some more. I really LOVED the Book Lovers Wiki by the Princeton Public Library. When I was circ subbing, I really enjoyed talking to the patrons about books that they have read in the past. This site lets you see what others think of different books to give you an idea if you want to get it out or not. A couple of books I want to look at are 1. Flushed: How the Plumber Saved Civilization by W. Hodding Carter 2. Abide With Me by Elizabeth Strout. On one of the sites I was looking at I really enjoyed the article at http://ricklibrarian.blogspot.com/2006/08/hangouts-feed-souls-of-lonely-by-kayce.htm/

I think having a Wiki for people to share their thoughts on books that they have read is really awesome. This is one way, anyone can share their thoughts---whether they be positive or negative. And, it could be on any book, not just a book club selection. Sometimes you just want to try different authors and are not sure where to start. Not everyone can have Dolores in their branches to run to when you want to try something different !!!!!

I really liked the Wikis that have ideas on them for the Seniors. (Baby Boomers and beyond.) I put a couple in my 'favorites'. There is a site that helps seniors with learning about the mouse and doing exercises to help you control the mouse !!!! How cool is that !!!!!!!!

No comments: